Wednesday 12 November 2014

The Role of Peer and Tutor Feedback [Draft 2]

Looking back at the time spent in ES1102, I feel that I have gained lots of benefits from this module. In my opinion, one of the most useful aspects of the course is the peer and tutor feedback portion. I had done several feedback sessions with my peers on our writing assignments throughout the course of ES1102. These feedback sessions have greatly widened my perspectives on ways to refine one’s writing. Therefore, they are very beneficial in improving my academic writing.

When I first heard that we would be doing feedback sessions on each other work, I was immediately worried about whether I could do a proper job during such sessions. I thought that my English standard was not good enough to enable me to provide constructive feedback to my peers. I was also worried that I might offend my peers when commenting on their work. Fortunately, our tutor would always guide us along before we worked on any of the feedback sessions. We also worked in teams, which I thought was useful as we had more views on how we could further improve our peers’ essays. My worries also lessened as I could consult with my team mates, or our tutor if need be, on whether certain feedbacks were appropriate in helping to refine the essay.

On the other hand, I welcomed the part where I could receive feedback from my peers. I knew it could greatly benefit my writing as I was able to receive valuable feedback on how to improve my essays. Their feedbacks also allowed me to identify the mistakes I did not even know I committed. Having extra pairs of eyes looking at one’s work is always better after all. Nevertheless, sometimes I did felt a bit defensive about my work but I knew that I had to remain open-minded so that my writing could be improved.

The extensive feedback sessions provided by my tutor at the end of each writing session were also very beneficial in aiding the process of improving my essays. Though, it could be scary at times looking at the comments flooding my essays. However, those comments were really helpful in refining my writing.

Overall, after going through multiple feedback sessions, I have discovered more aspects in an essay we could tackle so as to further refine it. I am also more conscious of common mistakes people make so I will take care in not committing them. The process of receiving and giving feedback is also valuable as it enables me to broaden my views on certain topics. After learning the usefulness of such feedback sessions, I think that it will be good if I am able to apply these skills learnt in other modules in upcoming semesters so that I am able to produce better quality papers during my university student career.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Xuan!

    Thanks for your opinion. Looking back from the start of ES1102, I feel that I too have gain many benefit from this course and i agree that this way of teaching, giving feedback to each other, is a very good way for us to learn more about ourselves and others.

    This is especially true when the tutor agree with the feedback given and add in addition feed back for us to improve on our essays.

    I wish you all the best in your uni life.

    Javier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! I am glad that we have such sessions to help us learn! :D

      Thank you! And all the best to you too! :)

      - Xuan -

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Xuan, for this fairly comprehensive critical reflection. You do a good job of reviewing the part of feedback in our course and the way that your experience with both sides of the feedback process impacted your skills development. I can understand from this essay that you have valued having the opportunity to do peer reviews, even confronting your own defensiveness in order to broaden your perspectiv . I'm glad you found benefit in that.

    There are only a few areas of this critique that I wonder about: Has this sort of peer editing experience ever carried over to your planning essays and writing/revising for other courses? Can you imagine that it would, or would not?

    In this essay there are a few minor language (tense) issues. As you review this, can you find your own mistakes? That's an ever-evolving process, of course. I wish you all the best, Xuan, as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the evaluation! Will continue to work on this post and improve it! Hopefully, I can catch my own mistakes too. XD

      Thank you very much for the time you spent with us! I really had a fun time learning in ES1102! :D

      Delete