Wednesday 12 November 2014

An event that has shaped your life and the person you have become [Final]

For me, a significant event that has shaped my life would be the day I met one of my best friends in secondary school. Till now, I am still grateful towards her. She is the catalyst that sparks my passion in Japanese culture, which heavily influences the choices I have made in life. Without her, I doubt I will be thinking of majoring in NUS’s Japanese Studies right now.

When we first interacted, we managed to hit it off right away when I mentioned that I watched Japanese anime and read manga occasionally. Although, I was not engrossed in them at that point of time, her enthusiasm regarding anime and manga was contagious and soon I started to fall in love with them too. Remembering the days when we had heated debates regarding certain mangas’ plots and the fun times we had singing along to the theme songs of our favorite anime series still bring a fond smile to my face. I recall this particular period during our first year in secondary school when we were deeply engrossed in the anime Cardcaptor Sakura. We spent most of our break time in school trying to memorise and sing the theme songs from Cardcaptor Sakura. In addition, we often came out with original story plots based on that particular anime during lessons too. Well, we should not be doing that in class in the first place, nevertheless they were fun memories that I would always cherish!

Furthermore, she also introduced the different aspects of Japanese culture to me gradually and soon I became deeply fascinated in them. One aspect was the dramas and variety shows from Japan’s entertainment scenes. Thus, this ignited my fervor in the Japanese culture and brought me where I am today.

Unfortunately, after we graduated from secondary school, I lost touch with her as we went on separate paths to pursue our own dreams. I would love to meet with her again and reminisce about the amazing times we shared together during our secondary school years.

<338 words>

0 comments:

Post a Comment