Monday 10 November 2014

ES1102 Presentation Reflection

Giving a presentation is always something I dread in my academic career. Even though it may be just a simple presentation in front of a group of friends, somehow the moment I step in front onto the ‘stage’ and feel their eyes on me, nervousness will start creeping up on me.  Also, previously in secondary school and polytechnic, the presentations I had to give were normally group presentations so I always had the comfort of my friends backing me up if I stumbled during the group presentations. Therefore, giving a solo presentation constantly has been daunting task for me and the presentation I gave during the ES1102 lesson was no different.

I must admit that I was not that well-prepared for this presentation. However, that was no excuse for the sudden moment of ‘mind blank’ that I had when I was presenting on that Monday. Whatever script I had attempted to memorize flew out of my mind when I felt my peers’ eyes on me. I could only attribute it to nervousness and lack of confidence of presenting in front of an audience. When my ‘mind blank’ forced me to refer to the notes I had with me, I had this feeling that I lost to myself.

Through this presentation, I also learn that developing a good pace is an essential point to a good presentation. Speaking too fast has always been a weak point I have when I am nervous. Not surprisingly, my peers told me I spoke too fast at certain times for them to catch on. Therefore, I think that I need to be more self-conscious of my pace when I am presenting.

All in all, I feel that there is so much I need to improve on regarding giving a presentation. I will definitely try my best to hone my presentation skills during my university life and I do believe that I would have many chances to do in the upcoming years. It may be a scary thought for now but I hope that someday I can throw away my fear of giving a presentation.


<349 words>

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Xuan, for this honest, detailed reflection on the presentation, and for braving the presentation itself. It's good to know how the experience impacted you. You most certainly learned from the experience and will present more confidently in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Xuan,

    I agree about how being nervous does affect our confidence, especially with many pairs of eyes staring at us. However, I felt that your presentation was very clear and you maintained good eye contact with the audience. There was also good usage of your slides which also made it easier for the audience to follow through with your presentation. A factor that you might want to consider is to avoid using fillers such as 'Um' or 'Ah'. I hope that the feedback will benefit you in your future presentations!

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I will work on being more conscious of the 'um' and 'ah' and try not to say them in my future presentations. XD

      - Xuan -

      Delete