Thursday 4 September 2014

An event that has shaped your life and the person you have become

For me, a significant event that has shaped my life would be the day I met one of my best friend in secondary school. Till now, I am still grateful towards her. She is the catalyst that sparks my passion in Japanese culture, which heavily influences the choices I have made in life. Without her, I doubt I will be thinking of majoring in NUS’s Japanese Studies right now.

When we first interacted, we managed to hit it off right away when I mentioned that I watched Japanese anime and read manga occasionally. Although, I was not engrossed in them at that point of time, her enthusiasm regarding anime and manga was contagious and soon I started to fall in love with them too. I still remember the days when we had heated debates regarding certain mangas’ plots and the fun times we had singing along to the theme songs of our favorite anime series. Furthermore, she also introduced the different aspects of Japanese culture to me gradually and soon I became deeply fascinated in them. Thus, this ignited my fervor in the Japanese culture and brought me where I am today.

Unfortunately, after we graduated from secondary school, I lost touch with her as we went on separate paths to pursue our own dreams. I would love to meet with her again and reminisce about the amazing times we shared together during our secondary school years.


<237 words>

2 comments:

  1. First, Xuan, I'd like to say that I'm surprised that your post has no comments. I know that your other group members have lots of comments on theirs.

    What I like about this post is that focus on a very specific person, crediting her with your growing interest in Japanese culture. (You, like so many people I know, have been brought to a fascination with Japan and its culture through a love of manga and anime!) What I would have liked to learn more about would be some of the specific influential phenomena. Which manga? Which anime characters? Which songs? Those sorts of details would give more substance to your description.
    You also write that " she also introduced the different aspects of Japanese culture to me gradually and soon I became deeply fascinated in them." What does this refer to?

    Do you have time to embellish this draft?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! And yes, I will continue to work on and improve this post! :)

      Delete